About in5 Program
What is in5?
in5 is an enabling platform for entrepreneurs and start-ups, offering five key benefits through its robust start-up framework, creative spaces and specialised industry centres, training and mentorship programmes, community-wide networking events and access to investors. in5 nurtures ideas and businesses to their next phase of growth.
What does in5 do?
in5 offers a comprehensive portfolio of benefits to entrepreneurs, professionals, corporates and students in the fields of Technology, Media and Design. in5 provides access to cutting-edge and specialised facilities as well as a dynamic and creative environment and sessions that foster the development of innovative ideas.
Does in5 take equity in startup business?
No, in5 does not take an equity stake in the startup venture.
Is in5 open to only UAE nationals?
No, all nationalities are welcome to submit to the in5 programme.
Will in5 provide funding?
in5 attracts investors to review profiles of its startups and facilitates introductions. The investments/funding is negotiated directly between the startups and the investors and will be subject to mutual agreement between startups and investors’ terms, conditions, criteria, and selection.
What if we have already been working on our start-up for a while? Is in5 appropriate for us?
The following factors are considered while evaluating applications from a licensed/registered company in any jurisdiction:
- Tech Applicants, having their company registered for over 1-Year, will need to provide information on the activities of the business planned to be carried out under the in5 programme.
- Design and Media Applicants having a smaller team of up to 4 members, are evaluated based on how Design Lab and Content Creation Facilities/Studios are useful for their business proposition.
What type of license is issued to approved applicants?
- in5 startups are provided a license from Dubai Development Authorityand have the same obligations and privileges of a FREE ZONE The license issued to startups is equivalent to a regular company, operating in any of the business districts that are affiliated to in5.
- in5 incubated companies are accepted in the programme if their business plans are approved by the relevant steering committee. They are free to pivot and expand within the parameters of their approved framework. However, should they find no market for their approved activity and they decide to diversify, they must inform in5 of the change in their business activity and repeat the committee evaluation process to revalidate approval for the new concept.
- Shareholder’s structure can be changed in case of addition/deletion of shareholders/investors.
- A BVI/Offshore company can be a 100% shareholder of a FZ-LLC company registered at in5/DDA).
- Approved startups can select the licensing segment that is most relevant to their business activity from this link. It is possible to select more than one licensing segment. License segments costing more than AED 15,000 are not available at the subsidized rate of AED1,000 to in5 startups.
What does the programme expect from its approved startups?
The in5 programme expects you to contribute to the entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem through the success of your startup.
Every six (6) months, submit to in5 a report accurately outlining all progress, achievements, funding acquired, jobs created, major customers, and other similar data or information that indicate the impact of the in5 startup programme on the ecosystem.
Mention in5 in articles, interviews, and talks with the phrase “Special Thanks – In5”.
Will you accept to host start-ups teams working on a similar idea?
Can Iwe be accepted in the programme and get my visa rejected?
Yes. The visa application follows standard Federal Government procedures.
How should the applications be submitted?
Submissions can be done online at www.in5.ae
in5 Pricing, Value Proposition, Deals and Discounts
What is the pricing applicable to join in5?
in5 supports innovative, active, and engaged startups with subsidised pricing for up to 5 years. Following the incubation phase at in5 Innovation Centre, in5 offers startups lease options to migrate to several Free Zone locations. A startup team of more than 4 members is provided an independent office option at a subsidised rate, subject to terms and conditions. Extension of the subsidised cost and approval is subject to in5 management approval.
*A full license fee of AED.15,000 is applicable after three years
**Visa Validity is three years. The subsidized pricing is applicable up to four visas. Prices are subject to change by 3rd party service providers GDRFA, EIDA & DHA.
What is the value proposition of in5?
In5 offerings include subsidised pricing for startups approved to join the in5 programme. The benefits include business setup framework (i.e. company license, office space, visas), mentorship, workshops & talks, networking, access to investors, business promotion, talent development, business support and access to creative facilities and equipment.
What creative facilities are available at in5?
in5’s three centres - in5 Tech, in5 Media, and in5 Design - are purpose-built spaces that feature modern meeting and conference facilities, cutting-edge technology devices, studios/prototype lab and 3D printing facilities, aimed at providing infrastructure to suit various entrepreneurial requirements, create an inspiring, fun and vibrant environment for in5 startups, members and external community. Read more
- In5 Startups can book meeting rooms, editing suites, fashion lounges at no cost subject to a cap of 2 hours/day.
- Large room booking (board room, conference halls, training room, multifunctional room and lounge) is provided to support business promotional activities or team development training at a cap of 1 booking/month.
What showcase opportunities are offered at in5
- in5 startups can feature their profile, news and achievements on the in5 website, newsletter, and social media platforms.
- in5 startups are provided showcase opportunities at various exhibitions and conferences in the form of free booth space, speaking, and networking opportunities.
- in5 startups can host their product launch, activation of their brand and meetings with their customers at in5 premises.
What are the deals and discounts provided by in5?
It is in5’s constant endeavor to bring additional deals and discounts to the startup community. You can recommend offers or discounts that you would like us to obtain on behalf of the in5 incubator.
in5 Members and Startups have access to the following deals:
- US$ 120,000 Cloud Credits from IBM. Click here.
- Up to US$ 120,000 Azure Credits from Microsoft. Click here.
- U$ 5,000 Cloud Credits from Amazon. Click here
- US$ 24,000 Hosting Services from Rackspace. Click here.
- HubSpot is a developer and marketer of software products for inbound marketing and sales. Click here.
- 10% discount at in5 Café.
What amenities are available at in5 buildings?
In5 startups have 24/7 access to any of the three in5 Innovation Centres. Access cards are provided free-of-cost to 4-team members.
- 275 MBPS Wi-Fi connectivity is available at each in5 Innovation Centre.
- Drinking water, fridge, microwave are available for startup use.
- Storage cabinets are provided at in5 centres for convenience to store work related bulky items.
- Large storage cabinets are provided at the cost of AED 100/month
in5 Evaluation Criteria
How are applications judged?
Applications are screened by a panel of committee members, using a five-point scale, with a focus on identifying innovative start-ups.
What is the definition of Innovation for in5?
- Tech: Ideas focusing on digitalization of traditional business using new technology trends such as AI, Big Data, robotics, machine learning, open APIs, etc
- Media: Ideas focusing on content creation through various online channels.
- Design: Applicants with a focus on sustainability, use of recycled/repurposed materials, process and supply chain optimization, creativity, design excellence, unique aesthetic and design process
How long does the programme last?
in5 supports innovative, active, and engaged startups with subsidised pricing for 5-years. After the incubation period at in5 Innovation Centre, in5 reserves the right to renew the lease agreement at in5 Innovation Centres and/or offer lease options to relocate to various business districts affiliated to in5. Terms and conditions may apply to extend the subsidised cost based on progress and performance, and approval is subject to in5 management decision. An independent office option is available at a reduced rate to a startup team of more than four individuals.
What criteria do the aApplication Ccommittee consider when judging applications to be part of the in5 programme?
- Level of innovation of the proposed solution
- Complementary skills of management team to drive the startup venture
- Market potential and competitive landscape of the project
- Economic impact on the community in the form of job creation potential and contribution to the growth of the economic base
Is it necessary to have a completed business plan to apply?
No, at the time of online submission, a complete business plan does not need to be ready. However, all elements of the business model must be submitted, and the solution should be at a stage of a minimum viable product, prototype or proof of concept. Design and Media applicants can present their portfolio/case study/sample of work.
What happens if the application submitted lacks the complete information required by the in5 Committee?
If the committee requires further information or clarification on any points, the applicant will be asked to submit additional documents to support their application. The panel's ruling, however, is final.
What is the next step after being selected by the committee?
After receiving acceptance to join in5, the team will contact you to register your startup company. In case the selected startup is not ready to establish a company, they can avail facilities as an in5-Member.
How long it takes to from application to registration of the startup venture?
Pitch sessions for applications are scheduled within 1-2 weeks of submission. The approved applicants are required to commence their company registration process within one week of the decision. Company registration takes between 7-10 working days.
What happens if the startup fails to sustain their business idea and wish to withdraw?
In case a licensed startup wishes to discontinue, in5 issued trade license, lease and visas will have to be cancelled.
Is it possible to submit more than one idea at the same time?
No, only one submission is accepted at a time.
If we have already have funding can we still apply?
Yes, obtaining funding is a positive indicator of the viability of your business proposal.
Do we need to be in Dubai to apply?
No, applications can be submitted online via http://www.in5.ae. However, the startup team will have to be based in Dubai if the application is approved.
How will we know if we have been rejected or accepted?
You will receive a response from the in5 team on the result of your submission.
Who will have access to my submission?
in5 relevant staff and the application evaluation committee will have access to the documents.
Can we apply to join in5 while visiting UAE on a visit visa?
Yes, provided you meet the Federal Government rules and criteria.
Can a single person apply to join in5?
It is recommended that a startup is managed by a team of members having complimentary skills. The team could consist of external advisors, part-time/outsourced employees at the start. The team can grow when the startup picks up momentum.